We remember, we value | EVS/ESC Review #17


One more skill, Study Tours to Poland Campaign, English Speaking Club dilemma, Telegram you should definitely subscribe and memory about those who past. This week is my 17th here. I can hardly believe. Soon will be half of my ESC volunteering... Time flies!


#1. New webinar experience!

As you know, I am in love with all these modern ways of learning - webinars, MOOCs, online meetings, Google sheets, etc. Moreover, as soon as you start such a personal way of learning and studying, it becomes hard to go back to more traditional ways of learning. However, it doesn't mean that the role of a tutor or mentor is not useful any more. Just the part of the individual learning is getting more and more privilege day after day; for example, such a tendency I noticed at university when at my 3rd and 4th year almost 75% of the work during different courses was dedicated to home- and individual work.

Anyway, right now I might have reached the point when I could share my knowledge not only with my students but also with other people who are interested in my experience. That is why this week I ran the first webinar in my life connected to time-management and teamwork!

About 10 members of NGO FRI International Department became my audience and I was happy to share with them rules of common work, some useful books, links to important resources, and other stuff. Also, we trained all the skills together by planning an Art Club, creating a scheme of leading the project and discussing strong and weak points of each other's strategic plan.

I got high enough points for my webinar from all of the participants and I am delighted that my time, as well as the time of guys, was spent usefully!

#2. Speaking club - what is the point?

I provide English Speaking club at Ukraiński Dom w Warszawie here in Warsaw and everything is great except one thing - it is really hard to catch the wave and fit the lesson to the needs of everybody.

Firstly, some people come and they are interested in speaking only -
basic topics about films, art, routine, etc. Nothing more, nothing less. You, as a participant of such a meeting, just develop the language skills so that you are able to speak to other people (general English).

On the other hand, there are other people, as well as me, who are interested in enlarging vocabulary and they really appreciate the meetings when we have a particular topic and we build all the speaking club around that topic. So, you not only speak but also develop your language (more specific English).

Therefore, is there a possible solution to hold the balance and make the speaking club a universal one so that everybody is satisfied? I've answered that question and my thoughts are based on my personal experience from working at language courses; however, I am interested in your ideas as well. So?

#3. One more great thing I love!

Every European Solidarity Corps volunteer should create a project for the organization he works at. This project should become a reflection of the skills he gets at the project while volunteering as well as develop him personally and the organization globally.

We, at Leaders of Change Foundation, decided to create an educational space for alumni of Study Tours to Poland and The Lane Kirkland Scholarship Program. Also, all other people interested in personal and professional development are welcome to join the Telegram channel Leaders of Change :) Here I post lots of international opportunities which are structured in the groups #formaleducation, #nonformaleducation, #internship, #development, #workshop, #internationalcooperation and #volunteering.

For me, the experience of creating a Telegram channel, managing it and filling with educational content is completely new. I am really thankful that during this ESC time I explore so many new things! I encourage you to join Leaders of Change Channel and catch your luck ;)

#4. For all those whom we remember

This week also we had the final meeting connected to the Christmas initiative Holidays Without Father.

This is a Christmas gift collection for Ukrainian children from affected families in the war in Ukraine. The campaign was started 5 years ago (2013) and it was planned as a one-time form of aid for affected families of Ukrainian volunteers who were killed during the Maidan protests and the war in UkraineUnfortunately, the war is still going on, and both the number of victims and the number of children who lose their fathers are growing.

Two wonderful ladies - Galyna Andryshkov and Viktoria Batryn - are the organizers and inspiration of this initiative. And they are truly the people with amazingly big hearts!

This year almost 3,000 (!) presents were packed and delivered to children in Ukraine! More than 100,000zł was collected from people not indifferent to the destinies of others! Lots of other people took part in the initiative as elves, helpers, patrons, drivers, and postmen. Such p e o p l e make this world better, and only because of them I know that все буде добре!

All the best from EVS/ESC-wolontariuszka Ira Konoplianko. 
Cześć!😉

Popular Posts