Every ending is the beginning | EVS/ESC Final blog | Review #29

There is nothing endless in this world. Everything comes, stays for a little with us and then goes away. Yes, definitely for a little because life only seems to be so long and intertwined but it turns out at the end that it is so short and so quick. So we have to be very attentive to all the little pieces of happiness on our lifeway. Believe me, they happen to you every day, just be ready to notice. 

This story becomes a final article of my European Solidarity Corps and now, when several months have passed, I am finally ready to write a buy-buy part of this blog. Even though I don't feel it as the end at all.

Have you ever looked at some period of your life as if through the eye of the camera? Where bright moments become shoots and later on you have to make a movie out of them? Following this idea, I would like to use the technique of film tape* mixed with a diary writing and describe the brightest moments of my staying here at the Leaders of Change Foundation as a volunteer of the European Solidarity Corps. For sure, these are way more good things that happened to me but let me add to this public blog only these 20 memories.

Welcome to a year of my life and thank you for sharing this experience with me.

*Small additional instruction for you - before reading, please, look at the picture and think for a moment what it could be about. I wonder if you guess the thoughts or feelings I wanted to show through these little pictures.

1. Hey There! 


Hey, Ira! Soon you finish your B.A. and it's high time to think about what to do next. Don't feel like starting your studying again now? Then the right choice will be simply not to start. Do you remember that European Voluntary Service project that guys told you about? I guess it might be a nice try to discover the world and start your independent life. I know you have been thinking about that for a while so why not now when you kinda free from university and hasn't started your 'proper' job search yet? Think it could be difficult? No way, this program has a great support base, you have so many positive feedbacks and I'm sure we'll cope with everything - just be yourself and don't be shy :) 

Well, let's define topics, spheres and countries... Hmmm, what do we have here... 

2. Poland?! Poland!


Wow! I have never thought that I would get the news concerning this project in such amazing conditions, haha It would be definitely worth doing if the start of all this thing is already so exciting :) Great, I'm going to Poland to help the Leaders of Change Foundation with Study Tours to Poland Program, Lane Kirkland Scholarship Program and other initiatives implemented by the organization. Since October 2018 till July 2019! Just imagine, almost a year in Poland! OMG!

Wait, wait, wait. Now you have to prepare everything as there will be almost a year of your being out of home. Where to start from? A nice decision for the beginning will be to clean and sort out all the university staff  (wow, so many memories!) and buy a travel bag or two. Ready, steady, go!

See, I am smaller here than in my Ukraine. Because there is so much to know and discover before you are "a grown-up", right?

3. From the Very Beginning


Well, the first day was definitely productive! Lena helped me with all the things like cards, mobile phone, dormitory and all the formal staff. We had a quick tour around a little part of Warsaw and visited some places I've already been before such as the Center of Solidarity from which my STP-way started or the Ukrainian House in Warsaw. A cosy evening with sushi and unpacking all the things in a dorm. Well, here you are, sweetheart! In Warsaw!

***

Lena: Hey, say something to him, he speaks English.
Me: Emmm... Hi.
Maciej: Hey.
...
That was the first conversation at the Foundation :)

***

People at the Foundation are nice. Definitely a lot of Anns but I need a website to learn their names for sure. All of them speak Polish of course and it's the only language everybody understands. However, some people speak Ukrainian, some Russian, some English, and other European languages - impressive! So, I have to learn Polish in order to communicate at team meetings. Soon we'll have a one and I'll get my first tasks to do. Today I got my email with program domain - looks so professional :) Uff! Lots of work is ahead! 

***

The first week was full of new! I visited What? Where? When? Game and met my mentor; got to know people in the Ukrainian House in Warsaw and decided to provide English Speaking Club there  (they are open to every initiative and lots of ideas); discovered Warsaw on Saturday (the weather was soooo lovely!) and many more. Not bad, not bad. We have only 10 months so try to use every opportunity to feel this city!

***

Everything goes pretty well! I've started my working with database, we launched a new way of presenting #stpeducated stories on Instagram, I contacted some people with the offer to take part in the initiative, we met a few STP groups in Warsaw, spend a lovely time in University Library park, opened a guest card in the library and many more. I also started writing my first blog ever and started using my Instagram account in a proper way :) Well, taking into consideration that I discovered IG in August, I am doing JUST GREAT with it, haha And there are only three weeks here! 

***

Agata: Are you going home now?
(is that already my home after 2 or 3 weeks? Is home where you are? Or where your heart is?)
Me: ... yeap, I'm going home... 

***

What a family nation these Poles are! Thanks to Agata, the head of the Foundation, I had a wonderful opportunity to spend All Saints' Day within a true Polish family! Three kids, wife and husband - not so easy, huh! And + an additional volunteer, hahaha Answering all the questions and having always snacks with you - that is what family with little kids look like. Moreover, their family isn't an exception! These days are very important for all the Catholics so if you happen to be near cemeteries somehow you will be truly impressed! The cemetery becomes a reflection of the sky where the candles become the stars.

4. Missing Home-Home


Oh, is that this period of missing home-home? Probably. Whatever it is, you'll cope with it for sure. Time for long talks, "psychological support" of your sister :), and watching films about home. If something is easy you're doing it wrong. Truly important things in your life are never easy.

5. Catholic Christmas. Deeper into the culture!


Uuuuf! Lucky me to be surrounded by so wonderful people here in Poland! All Saints' Day with Poles and now a true Christmas Eve also with them! This time with my coordinator Lena and her husband Arek. But this time we had a way bigger company! Also, my sister Tania and friend Olia joined us in Warsaw. Soooooo happy to have them here :) Btw, again there are 6 places at the table (n+1 extra place according to traditions). Coincidence? :)

***

This oplatek is something I have never heard about! What a nice tradition to wish everybody something good. Firstly I saw that at Polish school after a presentation; one of the boys wished me "to speak Polish even better as I have a good speaking base to develop". Teens at 12-13 could be even smarter than some adults, haha

6. Happy New Year!


Tania is here! Keep calm and relax, we both need time to get to living together again (even if there are only couple of days). How nice is to have a sister! It's been 4,5 months we haven't seen each other in real - internet helps a lot as you can communicate whenever you want but it cannot substitute real communication. I wonder how people got through any kind of long-distance relationship before when they didn't have all that technology tricks?

***

Ok, travelling in winter wasn't the best idea... Awful hostel, rainy weather, the debit card is lost, and finally getting thick and not speaking at all - that wasn't the end of the year I was dreaming about. But all that doesn't matter because I'm with my sis!

***

Happy New Year 2019! 

7. Meet a Part of International ESC Team


Sometimes you meet a person and boom! this person becomes your good friend :) That happened with me here on my on-arrival. What's more! You don't think about looks, nationalities, about being from different countries and having different mother tongues (of course, English as a common language helps here a lot). You just have a little chat firstly, then longer, longer and then one more! To my mind, that is the best indicator of how long this friendship will exist. Going to a pub and drinking does not make all of you friends; it's a long walking, talking to each other and discussing common ideas and goals that makes you friends. 

***

It's unbelievable how painting and different visualization techniques help you to relax, pay attention to this very moment and think out of the box. All these card/painting/art workshops simply stole my heart. I could do that all day long (of course, if you have enough time for that and there is not something urgent waiting for your attention). Goal-hand, film tape, your solar system, imagination cards and many more - thank you ESC that opened that world of living a meaningful life for me!

8. New Vision


Mirek: We thought you'd get things packed and go home after your training...
Me: No way! Not after my on-arrival!

After the training, I as if got the additional super-volunteer power :) I managed to define my role in the team, obtained additional motivation for further job and got so much energy to put into projects! (even despite the fact the weather was really shitty, hehehe).

***

Heeey! We launched Telegram Channel of the Foundation :) @leadersofchange is starting its way! Hope it won't get closed and will be growing, growing, growing! This is my ESC project in the sphere of digital and new internet tools so we are on the right way! The main goal of the channel is not only to post different opportunities, programs and workshops but also let guys promote their own projects and initiatives. Let's start! Analytics will show if this idea is worth doing ;)

9. Prague


Haha, this is the article in my blog which is still a draft! Shame on me :) 

Well, the most exciting thing about this trip was that we were together - 4 girls from 4 different countries (Georgia, Italy, Russia and Ukraine) and that Prague is really beautiful! The Old Town is everywhere here! Gorgeous! The end. All the other things that happened to us were pretty dramatic and unpleasant, but I don't want to pay much attention to negative things here. Just while travelling be ready for everything :)

10. The new experience of applying for ERASMUS+ project


Remember, in December, we had a small STP-meeting (Ola from Belarus, Lena and me) where we discussed different ideas and possible projects for realization as well? Why not apply for Erasmus+ Program if I am a volunteer at the Foundation which is in EU country? Use this moment and let this project connected to theatre and art Me, You, Theatre! start its life!

***

Oh, God. That application form was huuuuge! So many details, questions, description boxes... But you know what? I'm really enjoying that! The clearer and simpler we describe our ideas, the easier and faster it will be for us to implement it in future. As an additional thing, we'll get fewer problems and unexpected 'oooops' if everything is planned properly beforehand. A good project is a 80% good planning.

***

UPD: Unfortunately, our project hasn't been funded due to the fact we did several mistakes in the budget part but I am truly happy that I had such experience in my life! Also, that webinar from Erasmus+ centre was just amazing! Still, keep the presentation on my @studytours.pl email. Anyway, I don't think we are finished with that idea. We are just waiting for the proper moment in our life to have enough time to start this wonderful application path again :)

11. My Support - My Family :)


Going home even for a short time is important, believe me. That's why these long Easter holidays were used for going home-home and meeting my dearest ones :) 

***

Haha, never again I'll go to Kharkiv by bus (with the stop in Kyiv). It was the most awful trip ever because the bus was full, the staff was terrific, and my stop in Kyiv instead of 2 hours was 4! So there were 1,5 long days of travelling through half of Poland and almost all of Ukraine. Don't do that, please. 

But! As an optimist, I always find something good :) So all that time was spent on reading books and voila! I finished a book I have been reading since September. It was not very interesting, that's why it took so much time to finish it but was my first traditional paper book in Polish and I said to myself that I simply had to finish it. Also, I started another one on my way back to Warsaw (more interesting this time, haha), so time was not wasted :)

12. Next Important ESC Step


This time, compared to my on-arrival training, I am so confident and independent! I don't know where I took so much belief that everything will be OK, but I am full of that feeling :) You may think that the weather influences me a loooot because this training is in a shiny April and that one was in a cloudy and cold January; but, you know, rather not the weather but an understanding that even after finishing this part of my life something important is awaiting in future - that makes me so brave and so passionate to go further! Subconsciously, I understand that everything is slowly coming to the end (some guys even finish their projects right after mid-term) but I still have several months to do great things! And what is most important I have the energy for it :)

***

Also, a couple of words about Toruń, where we had our training. It is so lovely and warm city! Full of tourists not only during weekend but during a workweek as well. The symbol of this city is Nicolaus Copernicus and katarzynka - kinda gingerbread made only here according to a traditional recipe (sorry, Copernicus, for putting you in one line with katarzynka). 

Thanks to lots of interactive tasks, we were able to explore this city together with our team members and trainers and it was so much fun! Talking to people in the streets, looking for castles and historical spots, playing a change-for-change game - I'm in love with ESC!

13. Collegium Civitas - a New Chapter of My Life



Ideas for longterm goals do not come out of nothing in my life - all of them are connected in one chain. This chain could be invisible from the first side (and even impossible to find at the very beginning) but later on, on finishing a period in your life, you understand that for all the time you were following your own way based on your preferences, previous experiences and wishes. 

That is why on analyzing all pros and cons I decided to stay for 2 more years in Poland and start my Master's Degree here in Warsaw at Collegium Civitas. Here I would be able to develop my knowledge in new media and digital and get as much as I can before the moment I start working in this sphere as an experienced individual both theoretically and practically. Such important decisions are not done fast and take some time. At the very end, the decision is taken by you and you only; thus, in my case it was positive.

Ready? Ready!

14. What's Then?


You know, big changes are always complex... In my case, I have to think about lots of things like documents, new home, expenses, job... However, as father says, the road is made by walking, so there is no sense in stressing about how difficult it may look like and what challenges you may meet on your way. It's time to find as many options as you can for using them later and being able to choose :)

Remember, girl, we are always afraid of something we don't know. But as soon as we cross that border we realize how simple it has been. So keep doing!

15. Me as a Trainer? Development With the Ukrainian House


How wonderful it is to share your knowledge with other people who are interested and who are passionate about finding new solutions or gaining new skills! What's even more important is to get feedback after and think about what you can improve in your work, what should be added or substituted. 

My first step here is training dedicated to LinkedIn, a popular platform with lots of professional and career opportunities. Make the emphasise on the platform as one, where you can not only make connections and post bright moments on your career path but learn new skills, give and receive recommendations, find jobs, learn new skills and many more! Your task is to make people confident they can handle it, and, please, don't make them afraid ;)

***

Moreover, the English Speaking Club at the Ukrainian House in Warsaw is still going on! How happy I am that I met those wonderful people here in Warsaw (thanks to Lena)! This place is a little island of home here in Poland where you always can find somebody to talk to, to give or get a piece of advice, to implement your idea, to develop your skills and many more! Also, it's just a nice place to BE :)

16. Bicycle is My Second Love :)


I have never thought that I would be so in love with riding a bike! For sure I am not a professional and I am still afraid of lots of people around me, hahaha, but I've done good work with just saying to myself "Go and ride!" Remember when we decided to go somewhere by bicycle? Because my friend was riding a bicycle perfectly I had no excuses - I simply had to ride too. It was something like learning to swim while being already in the sea. Though, who knows maybe such a way is the best one to learn something new. Anyway, it played well, hehehe, and since then, I inspired my sister and another my good friend Daria for joining the world of riders. Good job! :)

I should remember that choice of mine every time I am afraid of doing something new - "Just go and ride Ira! Go and achieve!" 

17. Back to a Wizardry World


More than 10 years ago I got to the amazing world of witchcraft and wizardry, muggles and wizards, friendship and courage - an amazing world of Harry Potter. In those times, if I met any sort of anything connected to HP, I perfectly knew what it was, which part it was connected to, and what was the meaning or sense of that in the story. Probably, being a child, I was waiting for that letter from Hogwarts deep down but, at the same time, was quite satisfied with my life too where HP books were a nice and intriguing world somewhere in my imagination.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact year when I started the first book or watched the first film. However, I perfectly remember me asking my classmate for a cassette of HP and the Chamber of Secrets, the second story. We watched it together with my friend Lena at her home because the cassette players were very rare then. It was the first time I watched HP2 and back then I was 8 or 9, almost the same as 11-year-old heroes of J.K.Rowling story.

Since then, I've read all the books in Russian or Ukrainian, depending on which books were available at Karazin University library. Two of them, the last ones, I bought by myself and still keep them at home. Meanwhile, the films were being produced and I watched all of them as well. Not using cassette players, but TV and personal computers in the end.

When I had the winter holidays during my tenth year at school, I watched all the Harry Potter films again. That time they were in English with my laptop.

And on the 5th of August, when I am 23, I've finished listening to audiobooks, HP books, all of them in Polish using my smartphone and StoryTell app with Piotr Fronczewski as a voice actor. 137 hours 9 minutes and 52 seconds.

I am so incredibly thankful to J.K.Rowling, whose personal story was so inspiring as well, for creating such a masterpiece. A real story which somehow shaped my childhood as well as the childhood of many other children all over the world. And now, if somebody asks me what was the story which inspired you when you were a kid, I already know the answer.

Thank you, dear Daria, for being with me on this latest journey to the world of HP :)

18. New Accomplishments


Last year I passed the TOEFL which gave me lots of confidence now when I have to pass my Polish State Certificate Exam. The latter is more precise as it's done for every level of the language separately (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2). On the other hand, TOEFL didn't measure my language abilities as they were, it measured my abilities to work using this language. That's why you had scientific texts to read, talks to listen to and articles to analyse and write a review.

The only mistake I did was to choose a B1 level instead of B2. Never lessen your abilities even if it seems difficult, Ira!!! I chose the level in March and back then I thought it would be quite difficult to pass anything more than B1. Well... Here I am with a B1 level (91%). For sure it's better to have good B1 than so-so B2 but if you still have time for preparation Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

19. To the Place Which I've Started From


Oh, this wonderful time of two long and peaceful weeks at home-home :) Time to spend with my family and friends, to walk around the city, to visit the places you've missed so much. When you're home you feel the energy of this place and you become the energy itself. Probably, that positive thinking has roots back in my childhood when every day you explore the world with your parents and foid something new and breathtaking. And now, even after years, you still have that powerful feeling inside. 

***

Following that retrospective of the age :), at such moments of 'going back' and meeting people from the past (like old friends whom you haven't seen for a long time), you realize what a grown-up you really are, haha Take me back to childhood? Nooooo, not now, not now. 

***

Kharkiv is wonderful and it will always be an important place in my heart no matter where I am now. So different, so contradictory, so extraordinal but so mine :)

20. STP - Unite!


Here we are - my final point of all the ESC-experience at the Foundation became the Polish Inspirations Conference which gathered almost 70 alumni of Study Tours to Poland Program - the Program from which everything started :) 

My STP story begins in 2014, when I, as a first-year student, decided to discover the world of projects, programs and volunteering. That time I had a little experience - I was not a member of any organization, did not participate in projects, was not a volunteer. Obviously, I was not selected. “Do not give up!” - I thought and moved forward towards adventures: Foundation of Regional Initiatives, educational events, all kinds of volunteering, the first ERASMUS in Poland. A year later - again an application form, transcript, "five words that you associate Poland with" aaaaand ... In April! To Warsaw! Done! All the project, participants and our lovely coordinator were one big positive story! We spent 12 days in Warsaw while visiting organizations, universities, NGOs and many-many-many more. 

I perfectly remember that the last day we were free after lunch and I was the last person from my group to leave Warsaw. After walking and exploring the city (a few places we haven't explored before, haha) I decided to have a snack right in front of the Palace of Culture and Science as there were plenty of free benches and the weather was really lovely. Suddenly a guy came to me and asked me if he could take a photo of me sitting on a bench. I agreed but a few minutes later I realised that I forgot to ask for an email or any contacts in order to get the photo. Now I think about that moment from time to time. What if that photo created a connection between me and Warsaw? It might sound nonsense but what if... (or maybe I watched too many films when I missed home-home, hahaha)
Later on, in 2017, STP Workshop happened to me. Then I studied and worked as an English teacher. I remember that I recorded the video (a creative task for the application form) at lunchtime before classes, and sent it after a couple of hou... minutes before DDL, hahaha According to the best STP traditions :) The time of that visit coincided with another event in my life which divided it into "before" and "after". Life is life, we should be strong.
And now my ESC here at Leaders of Change Foundation near STP again. It's the time thanks to which I looked not only at the world but at myself from a completely different perspective. After spending a year side by side with Study Tours to Poland and the Foundation, I realized what it really means to be a human. These are neither bright wrappers nor pompous words. It is to make the world around us better quietly and persistently. Thank you, STP, for helping me find the right vector in my life and teaching me to value moments. I won't lose my way because my polar star was lit right when I was with the Program. 

***

Thank you very much for this unbelievable year! 

My family, Lena, Arek, Mirek, Polina, Agata, Ania W, Ania J, Asia, Urszuła, Ania T, Patrycja, Maciej, Jerzy, Ania, Olia, Myrosia, Ivanka, Sasha, Daria, Olesj, Olya, Olya, Daphne, Mariam, Yulia, Marta, Ania, Kasia, Wojtek, Katarzyna, Diana, Ivan, Vahram and all the others who made it so unforgettable. May your life be as bright as you want it to be!

With lots of love❤️

Popular Posts