Live boldly | EVS/ESC Review #3

This week was really warm in all the aspect of my staying here. And though the autumn finally came with all the 'friends' if its - cold weather, rain and wind, I have lots of inspiration to make it great!  

Also, while ordering what things to write about this week, I can say that the past 7 days got something like a philosophical way of thinking... 

#1. The Small Things We Should Notice

At the very beginning of the week, I suddenly realized how busy we always are. Day after day we do lots of tasks, plan every minute of our time, prepare materials, generate new ideas, think about strengths and weaknesses, discuss all the work with the team members and more, and more, and more... However, all of us need this time when we just sit and enjoy the moment of doing nothing. No surfing internet, no thinking about the evening plans, no worrying about tomorrow to-do-list. We just focus on the life itself.

Those thoughts came to me when I was sitting in the office of Leaders of Change Foundation, working with tables and suddenly looked through the window. In the building opposite my office, a cat was sitting on the balcony. He was watching trams, people, leaves, cars outside. It was watching so attentively that even put its head through those balcony-gates. I wonder what was it thinking about? Perhaps, about some sort of cat's philosophy...

#2. Moje Ukraińskie Miasto Charków

Finally! I got an opportunity to present my lovely city to the groupmates! The presentation was done in Polish and all the audience had to listen very attentively as at the end of the speech I prepared a quiz for the guys. Sure, I also had presents for the cleverest ones - sweet chocolates from Ukraine. Now, I hope, guys know some more things about Kharkiv, not only 'the biggest square' fact. 

Congrats on my finishing the first book in Polish:) Children fairytales from the Ukrainian House in Warsaw. I took that book on the first day here in Warsaw and now it is done. Time to start with something more difficult?

#3. Speaking Club and Nostalgia

This week was a rich one for the Ukrainian House in Warsaw as we started our weekly English Speaking Club meeting! I became a moderator of this event and, frankly speaking, I feel right at home in this friendly, positive and foreign-language atmosphere!

I remember my first steps in conducting speaking clubs as a coordinator of the Language School. FRI Project. Those ones we began in 2015, so long ago. We started and had little courage then, charged the energy and confidence from each other in the team. But now I am an adult:) Two years of high quality studying language, practising and teaching English made their job! I feel more confident, more qualified and more skilful.

So, all people willing to improve speaking skills are more than welcomed here at English Speaking Club at the Ukrainian House in Warsaw!


#4. Polish Friends Needed :)

I perfectly realize that to boost my Polish I need practice. But now I am in a really tricky situation - at Leaders of Change Foundation people speak all the languages I am fluent or very well in - Ukrainian, Russian, English. At the dormitory, the situation is pretty much the same. Except for the dormitory stuff. Thanks, God, they speak Polish only and I have people to communicate with. Outside (at shops, cafes, restaurants) all your language is pretty plain and similar. So, in remain, we have only Polish language courses and my self-studying the language. 

That's why I am in a constant search for the events I can visit and where I can taaaalk:) For instance, this week I visited Polish Speaking Club for Foreigners. It is created for people who are looking for a job in Poland, so we discussed CV, what to put into it, strong and weak points of the employee and so on. Now I have a huge list of traits of character in Polish. Useful, huh? :)

#5. A Weekend is Time You Spend on Yourself :)

And still, I cannot get used to the state when you have free time. And it is really free, you don't reschedule the tasks, you don't skip anything, and you don't worry that today you won't sleep enough time again. You just have this time for going for a walk, for talking to your friends, for watching a film (this week the weather pushed me to watch some love stories). And that is a completely normal state of life! 

So unusual for me - the person, who is always busy with hundreds of tasks! Education, university homework, thesis, articles for conferences, conduction lessons, preparing materials for work, online lessons, new ideas for the teaching... Oh, I am so lucky that now I finally have time to live, and not be in this rat race!

All the best from EVS/ESC-wolontariuszka Ira Konoplianko. 
Cześć!😉

Popular Posts