Life starts where the fear ends | EVS/ESC Review #16

10 countries in one week, new home in Warsaw, my first Polish review, small wins and ability to notice all of them, wonderful people and even more wonderful time spent with them, the night Warsaw and long walks, pragmatic hands and a shadow theatre - that's what my outstanding European Solidarity Corps week is about!

#1. Cultural diversity

Though I am a participant of many international programs, only
during the past year I started discovering really 'unusual and far' nationalities, cultures and characters! Firstly, my ERASMUS+ project which took place in Greece in summer (12 countries) and, secondly, my ESC/EVS On-Arrival Training this week (10 countries)!

Probably, you already know something about my ERASMUS+ experience, so here I want to share my impressions about ESC/EVS On-Arrival Training and simply describe what it is. Every European Solidarity Corps volunteer has two important sessions which are obligatory - on-arrival and mid-term. Here we gather with other volunteers from the country we stay in, discuss our rights and responsibilities, culture peculiarities, language issues and all other stuff. Moreover, we share our own experience of being a volunteer in another city, country, and international organization. Thanks to our trainers - Marta and Ania - these days were filled with knowledge, brainstorming, discussions, speeches, presentations, talking and inspirational sessions! Great job!

Finally, this week was wonderful because I not only took another look at my role in the organization and got a huge source of inspiration for the next months but also found wonderful people who changed 'me in Warsaw' somehow. Such intercultural events really open the world in my eyes! Adding to that, this feeling of talking, discussing, creating, and even simple walking with people from all over the world is just amazing!

#2. Wanna have a rest? Then change your place

The first important thing is that though the training was organized in Warsaw (and I am living in Warsaw now), I decided to change my place of living for a week and spend all the week in a hostel with other volunteers. So, I packed my case, took all the necessities for a week, got on a bus and in 15 minutes arrived at the hostel. Also, I said to myself that I mustn't go home no matter what and for all the week I will be staying in the hostel.


Such a decision of mine was exactly what I needed. Actually, to my mind, that is right what every person needs at least once a few months! You look at the city as if from a completely another side - you become a tourist in places you visit every day, you discover the parks and boulevards you have never been before, you talk to people in English (though you speak Polish) and become a real newbie in this place! Fantastic!

#3. First Polish review :))))))))

On coming home after the training I was so inspired by our trainers,
people and Polish that I decided to write a review in Polish and send it to my colleagues at the Foundation. I encourage you to read it as well :)

"W zeszłym tygodniu byłam uczestniczką ESW warsztatów dla wolontariuszktórzy pracują w Polsce. Uczestnikami warsztatów byli 24 osoby z różnych krajów, na przykład Gruzja, Słowacja, Turcja, Rosja, Hiszpania, Włochy, Niemcy, Malta, Ukraina i nawet Urugwaj!

Główny temat tych szkoleń wprowadzających — powiedzieć i pokazać, jaki jest wolontariat, jaka jest Polska, i jaki oni są razem. Dlatego każdy dzień był dedykowany do pewnego tematy. W poniedziałek dzień był krótki — mieliśmy po obiedzie spotkanie na temat znajomości i określili, jaki są warunki naszej wspólnej pracy.
We wtorek rano uczyli się język polski z pomocą różnych karteczek, poduszek, poszukiwań różnych rzeczy na pewną literkę i t.d. Po obiedzie pracowali w grupach na temat praw, obowiązków i formalności w projekcie. Wieczorem mieliśmy ekskursję Warszawą ze świetnym przewodnikiem Przemkiem i jego psem Kapciem. 
Otworzyła dla siebie nowe miejsca w mieście, na przykład dzwonek, którzy spełnia pragnienia. I informację, że jeżeli mieszkasz w Warszawie, to automatycznie musisz nie lubić Kraków i na odwrót :)

W środę pracowali w wielkiej grupie i naszym zadaniem było 'przepłynąć ocean' za pomocą karteczek (korytarz hostelu) -
nie było to łatwo, bo grupa jest wielka i wszyscy mają różne pomysły, ale było bardzo ciekawie. W drugiej połowie dnia podróżowali w głąb kultur — byliśmy podzielone na grupy, gdzie wszyscy byli z różnych krajów. Okazało się, że Roksolana (Hurem), która miała wielki wpływ na rozwój Turcji, jest bardzo popularna osoba nie tylko w południowym kraju, który jest sąsiadem Ukrainy, ale i w dalekiej Hiszpanii! Wieczorem tańczyli z kolektywem narodowego tańca polskiego. Mieliśmy jeszcze konkurencję na plecionki, za co i ja otrzymałam nagrodę.


Czwartek był dniem interaktywnego odkrywania polskiej kultury. Byliśmy podzielone na małe grupki z różnymi tematami. Nasza grupka z uczestnikami z Włoch, Słowacji i Ukrainy szukała informację na temat powstania warszawskiego. Dlatego pierwsza część była zwiedzanie muzeum warszawskiego z przewodnikiem, a druga - 'badanie socjologiczne'. Pojechali do dzielnicy Praga, która jest niesamowitą!, i tam spotykali ludzi w różnym wieku i pytali o tym, co oni widzą o powstaniu: daty, miejsce, konsekwencję i t.d.

Piątek był dedykowany prezentacjom naszych 'badań warszawskich' - było dużo różnorodności w tematach — od 'Popularnie filmy' do 'Dlaczego Polacy się nie uśmiechają?'. Po obiedzie wymienialiśmy doświadczeniami między uczestnikami (igry dla dzieci, krótki spotkania artystyczne i inne).

Sobota była dniem ostatnim na szkoleniach. Tutaj trochę poznali informacji oYouthpasscertyfikacie, który jest zaświadczeniem pracy dla każdego wolontariuszy.

Naprawdę, te dni byli dla mnie świetnymi, bo nie tylko spotkałam dużo ludzi z różnych krajów, ale i zrozumiałam swoją funkcję w organizacji — innowacji. Bo teraz już pracujemy z MailChimp, zaczynamy Telegram, chcemy otworzyć LinkedIn. I jestem szczęśliwa, że zostawię coś po sobie w Fundacji.

Wszystkim świetnego tygodnia i jeżeli pomoc jest potrzebna, to ja jestem obok :)


Pozdrawiam,
Iryna."

#4. Can a card describe your life?

On the last day of our training, we had to choose the card which describes our mood, state, and thoughts and tell a few words about that. I have chosen a card with hands and a shadow play - this picture was the first one I saw and, without hesitation, I realized that it was the right choice. 


Firstly, before start reading my interpretations, what do you see in this picture? Think about some connections with your personal state and mood. Probably, you'll find something too?

In my case, I see here two things. Firstly, hands - pretty obvious. These are hands, nothing more - pragmatic part of mine, always thinking about plans, consequences, advantages and disadvantages. So, before coming to the training, the only thing I thought about was 'these pragmatic hands' - getting information about the city I already know, some tips about the language I already speak somehow, exploring some history I already read about. Really 'high' expectations, huh?

However, the other part of the picture is a shadow theatre - it is a thing you can see only if you want it to see. Your hands become a dog, a deer, a mouse - everything you want; just think and all the other is in your hands! And that is exactly what this training gave me - understanding that every day is an especial one, realizing that your life starts where the fear ends, finding out that signs matter and what's more - you are the only person to treat them as positive or very positive ones :) 

All the best from EVS/ESC-wolontariuszka Ira Konoplianko. 
Cześć!😉

Popular Posts