One more year :) | EVS/ESC Review #23

This week is closely connected to my growing up☺, stories about a roll, stubborn girl and a happy couple, new Toastmasters Experience, pack of cookies for a story, meeting with the first female United States Secretary of State in U.S. history, dignity and International Women Day.

#1. Happy Birthday to me

Well, I am officially 23 - my first B-Day out of home and first B-Day not in Ukraine. As one of my friends said 'It's the age when a woman is still quite open to tell about her age', so I follow his advice☺

I was always jealous of people who have their birthdays in summer. Wait, not because the weather is great and all this stuff but because in summer you don't have classes and you can spend the day what, where and with whomever you want. But, we are not asked when to be born, so more or less I admit the fact of seeing this world for the first time in March☺

My parents once told me the story of the day I was born - a story about a little roll, stubborn girl and happy couple. My father along with my 3,7-year-old sister was going to visit me and my mom in a maternity hospital. It must have been the first meeting with me! Due to the fact it was heavy snowing (such snows, unfortunately, aren't seen any more in our city) the transport wasn't working or was working with delays and problems. However, the hospital was not far from our home so one half of the family decided to go by foot and see the other one☺

The way was hard and exhausting, especially for a 3,7-year-old girl. However, they successfully reached the hospital. But what nonsense! They weren't allowed to see me and my mom because of low temperatures (and other reasons), so the doctor simply refused to let them in. Well, what can you do? Apparently, admit and go home. But not my sister! She was so persistent that she refused to leave the territory of the hospital without seeing me - a little gift she was waiting for☺Thus, the only way to meet that day was through the window - my mom showed a little roll and waved her hand - that was enough for two excited hearts be even much happier than before! Obviously, I don't remember that moment but it is so clear as if I was standing right near those two

Adding to that, this holiday has always been for me a family one - with staying at home, celebrating with my family and eating a birthday cake. However, probably now is a high time to adjust traditions to the present moment.

P.S. Ten minutes before midnight I decided to take a photo of me being 22 - same-digits-age. Next time such a one will be in long 11 years. I will turn 33 then, wow.

#2. Toastmasters Community - find your club! 

The previous week I wrote about Toastmasters Community and my first experience of being a member of such a one. Unfortunately, I cannot visit that one on Tuesdays because I have my English Speaking Club at Ukraiński Dom w Warszawie the same time but I didn't give up and decided to find other ways to be a part of TIC. 

I started by searching for the club on the official website and Facebook, wrote several messages and got responses that I could easily become a guest. That's why my Wednesday evening was spent as a part of an In-Spire Club for employees of BNP Paribas. The meeting was a good one, we were talking about risks and risky situations, shared the private stories where we were scared and how we dealt with them. 

Also, as a part of the meeting, the table topics contest was performed. The task was about continuing the sentence with any story you want to talk about. I also took part in such one and continued the story 'I turned back while seeing him running after me, and...'. Well, my little story was partially made up, but who cares? The main task here is to use facts and quickly deal with them. Oh, and I was voted as the best speaker there and though I didn't get the statuette of a hand with a mic, I was awarded a pack of cookies instead☺

#3. What about rights?

On Friday I had an opportunity to listen to the speech of Madeleine Albright, an American politician and diplomat, the first female United States Secretary of State in U.S. history. Her book 'Fascism: A Warning' was discussed during the meeting as well.

The life of a public person is complicated and difficult not only because of the high level of responsibility but because of dealing with different minds and not losing self-temper while listening to rude comments of all the work you are doing for these very people. I am paying attention to this as there was a lady on the conference who was 'brave enough' to read from the paper a disgusting piece of text, probably written not by her, concerning 'dirty policy' of Madeleine Albright. The answer was 'Thank you for your opinion' and that is power itself.

Also, thanks to my supervisor, I got the book 'Fascism: A Warning' with the signature of the author. The book about the notion which is so far in time but still is so close in minds.  

#4. International Women Day

Do you celebrate International Woman Day? Is it a holiday for you or a simple working day as all the other days during the year? Or a day to remember all those women who were fighting for their, as well as my, rights? To my mind, every person is free enough to choose what is this day for her. I choose this day being a mix of everything☺

Luckily, this day was a sunny one and all the streets were crowded with people with balloons, flowers, chocolates and smiley faces☺Let this day be simply a reminder of how beautiful it is to be a woman and have equal rights for everyone!

All the best from EVS/ESC-wolontariuszka Ira Konoplianko. 
Cześć!😉

Popular Posts